To answer this question I could write a dissertation. There is a lot going on in this small tropical paradise roughly the size of South Carolina. For effects of this blog post I will highlight some of the reasons why Panama is the ideal location for your next Retreat:
Location, location, location
- With multiple airlines and direct flights to over 17 US and Canadian cities there are a lot of deals to be found, Most of these flights are between 2 1/2 – 5 hours and are in the same or similar time zone as the US and Canada.
- Tropical- warm all year. We have the dry season from December- April and the Green Season from May- November. Both seasons are a great time to visit. The Dry season offers sunny skies and dry trade winds blowing across the country, The Green season offers a more lush and vibrant environment with afternoon cooling showers (it rarely rains all day)
- Beaches- 1547 miles of coastline and over 1000 islands, we’ve got you covered in the beach department. With 2 oceans that offer very different types of beaches there is something for everyone.
- Geography- rainforest, cloud forest, beaches, mountains, lakes, rivers, waterfalls, mangroves, islands, and estuaries all provide a rich environment for a wealth of biodiversity that flourish in this tropical environment
- Activities- Surfing, hiking, zip lining, Stand Up Paddleboarding, Snorkelling, Hammocking (I just made that up), whale watching, shopping, scuba diving, visiting waterfalls, local markets, fishing, visiting indigenous communities, birding, community service, and others
- Multicultural- The Panama Isthmus and later Canal brought people from all over the world to settle here. Mostly settling in Panama City you can find communities of the 7 different indigenous groups that live in Panama, Afro- Panamanian, Chinese, Jewish, U.S., Greek, Italian, Spanish, Indian, Middle Eastern, and other Latin American communities. This influx of foreigners has continued today with Panama’s strong economy, privileged location, and economic incentives for many multinational corporations setting up their regional offices in Panama.
Bakers Dozen- as if that weren’t enough
- Security- Due to Panama’s political stability, low population, strong economy and low unemployment, Panama is one of the safest countries in the region.
- Medical services- Panama has top notch health care at private clinics/ hospitals (as opposed to the government clinics/hospitals) with services at a fraction of the price you would pay back home.
- Currency- the official currency is the US dollar so no need to exchange currency if coming from the US
- Rich History- from Pirates, Spanish forts, a failed Scottish colony to the first transcontinental railroad serving as a major artery for the California Gold rush and integral in the construction of the Panama Canal, there is a lot of interesting history from this tiny Isthmus.
- The Panama Canal- a trip to Panama would not be complete without visiting the “8th” man made wonder of the world. From its arduous construccion to its current role in global trade and transit, the canal is a must see. (see other blog article on The Panama Canal)
Istmo Yoga and Adventure Retreat in Panama www.istmoretreat.com is proud to bring you the above information and even prouder to offer our retreat leaders all of the above.